Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Meet the Grants Committee

The Women Give San Diego Grants Committee met throughout the fall to narrow down 40+ applications in order to select three grantees. This group met on a weekly basis, received presentations from each applicant and conducted site visits for the final four applicants.

“Granting to organizations in San Diego that serve women and girls in the area of economic security
and self-sufficiency is where WGSD will have our greatest impact in the community. Our members trust the grants committee to perform due diligence and make informed decisions.”
-- Jan Tuttleman



Committee Chair:
Jan Tuttleman, Ph.D, MBA
. Jan Tuttleman, founding President of Women Give San Diego, currently serves in leadership roles for many organizations in San Diego including the United Jewish Federation of San Diego County, the Jewish Community Foundation of San Diego, the San Diego Jewish Women’s Foundation, The Burnham Institute for Medical Research, and The Vision of Children.

Members:

JoAnne M. Berg, CPA – Founder and CEO
. JoAnne Berg is a sought after business advisor, speaker, teacher, and facilitator. With over 30 years of professional experience as a CFO and COO, she brings a “big picture” view to creating and running successful small businesses which work FOR their owners, not the other way around. I joined the committee since I have extensive experience with the process through my involvement with San Diego Social Venture Partners and felt I could be useful in establishing the WGSD process. Additionally, it is something I enjoy doing.


Anita Broughton, REA, EIT, CIH. So far, I’ve had a 28-year career in the environmental engineering andconsulting field, and am a scientist, manager, and part-owner of Haley & Aldrich, Inc., mostly focused on the redevelopment of contaminated industrial properties. In my spare time, I manage a local volunteer resource website, angelbeing.com, and joined the WGSD Grants Committee to meet like-minded women and to learn more about our non-profit community.


Susanna Flaster. In a former life I was a Speech and Language Pathologist and now I am involved in a family real estate business in Los Angeles and a member of several non-profit boards and committees. I joined the Grants Committee to have direct contact with community organizations that do meaningful work to benefit women and girls and broaden my understanding of the unmet needs.

Amy Harmon. I've been a professional fundraiser for over 10 years. Having grown up in a low-income family and then been given access to education through a college scholarship, I'm thrilled to give back by helping other women and girls in need through the WGSD Grants Committee. Also, it just feels so good!


Renee Herrell, M.A., CFRE. Professionally, I am a nonprofit consultant who works with nonprofit organizations to help them with major fundraising projects, strategic planning and board development. I joined the WGSD Grants Committee because I wanted to experience the other side of philanthropy from my professional job and be able to give (instead of ask for) a donation.

Jennifer Levitt, Doctoral Candidate. My professional background is in academia, specifically, I have studied and lectured on the intersection of gender, race, class, and sexuality, particularly in the context of family relations. In recent years, I have focused on local family and gender-related issues through women's philanthropy and non-profit service: I am currently Chair of San Diego Jewish Women's Foundation and serve on the board of Jewish Family Service. I participate on the WGSD Grants Committee to engage with and address issues that face San Diego's most vulnerable women and girls.


Sheona Richardson. I am a nonprofit professional with a background in fund development and communications. I’m thrilled to be a member of Women Give San Diego and support their efforts to improve the economic health of women and girls in our community. Serving on the Grants Committee has given me the opportunity to play an active role in connecting women and girls to programs and services that will provide them with the tools they need to thrive and be economically self sufficient.


Dana C. White, CPA. Professionally I started as a State Auditor for the Higher Education team in the State of Washington and then moved on to the controllership position at a community college. I moved into research administration about ten years ago and remain committed to this area. I have lead research centers both at the university and hospital setting as well as in the not for profit sphere. I joined WGSD due to my interest in working on political and societal issues that impact the lives of women.

Next week, Dana White will be posting about the process that the grants committee went through in order to select the final three grantees.

Posted by WGSD member, Renee Herrell, reneeherrellwordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment