Monday, August 29, 2011

Meet the Advocacy Committee








Jennifer Dreyer, Chair. The most important role I have is raising my two daughters, 5 and 7 years old, who inspire and challenge me every single day. Every day, I think about being a role model for them in how I work, live and volunteer. I am fortunate to love what I do as the owner of Tamayo Consulting, Inc., a training and consulting firm that develops leadership capacity and communication skills in corporations. I am currently the Chair of the Board for Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest. I also love following politics, and am very involved in Run Women Run, which works to elect pro-choice women.


Shana Hazan, a 4th generation San Diegan, serves on Women Give San Diego’s Advocacy and Education Committees. She works at Jewish Family Service where she oversees the agency’s award-winning Youth Leadership Programs, including the new Girls Give Back program. Before returning to San Diego in 2008, Shana lived in Chicago where she worked in Public Relations, taught elementary school, and worked in non-profit program management. In addition to her work with WGSD, Shana serves on the Executive Committee of Run Women Run, the board of Stanley E. Foster Construction Tech Academy, and is a founding member of Emerging Leaders at JFS.


Stacey Klaman. I’ve had a 22-year career in educational publishing. I'm a writer and editor who has worked for McGraw-Hill, Sally Ride Science, National Geographic and Google. In the last year I've begun to transition toward going back to school for a master's in public health with an emphasis and maternal and child health. In addition to WGSD, I'm on the steering committee of BE WiSE, a member of Athena, a Trauma Intervention Program (TIP) volunteer, and a doula at UCSD Medical Center.


Megan Lim. I've been fundraising for nonprofits in San Diego for six years, currently, as the Development Director of the San Diego Public Library Foundation and previously at Girl Scouts. The Advocacy Committee is brand new - so it's been thrilling to have a blank slate and brainstorm ways Women Give can educate the community and advocate for women and girls.


Deirdre Maloney. I am committed to helping nonprofits meet their missions through better business, and I do it in a number of ways. I speak all about the topic at conferences and public events. I write about it in my blog and my book, The Mission Myth (due out in October). And I provide customized services like strategic planning, board development, and marketing through my company Momentum San Diego.



Johanna Schiavoni. I volunteer with several organizations focusing on women's issues, politics, and the arts. As a member of the Advocacy Committee of Women Give San Diego, I recently went to Sacramento to lobby for legislation supporting women and girls across the state. While inspired by the experience, it reinforced for me how much work we have to do to raise up women and girls, to be sure their voices are heard and their needs are addressed. WGSD is working to do just that in the San Diego region. I am proud and humbled to be a part of this effort, and feel lucky to be working alongside WGSD's remarkable founders, members and grant partners. Johanna Schiavoni is a partner with Jacobs Schesinger & Sheppard LLP, a boutique law firm, where she specializes in appellate litigation


Kersten Wehde is the Associate Director of Major Gifts at Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest, where she cultivates and solicits supporters who comprise the President’s Council. She has been a member of the Planned Parenthood development team for four years, having previously held the position of Grants Manager. She also serves on the steering committee of Planned Parenthood's national Development Officers Council. Kersten holds a B.A. in political science from the University of California, San Diego, and is a relatively new member of Women Give San Diego, serving on the grants, advocacy and community engagement committees.

No comments:

Post a Comment