Women Give San Diego held a general member meeting on Monday, November 7, 2011 at Hera Hub from 5-7pm.
Linda Katz welcomed our tenured and new members with a rewarding announcement that WGSD has reached 94 members and is confident we will be at 100 by the New Year!
Following our membership announcement, Linda updated us on our Brain Warrior, June (Jan) Tuttleman. Jan has decided that since her name resembles January and that month is cold and represents winter that she is officially renaming herself June to embody the life and warmth of the summer season. June continues to amaze us with her strength and courage and has given up her involvement in all organizations other than WGSD. With all of the support from WGSD members she feels this organization is family and so it remains one of her priorities and we are blessed for her presence.
Our recent Membership Recruitment Event, “Engage and Be Engaged,” brought 38 guests to WGSD which translated into a handful of new members for a total of 100 members. Congratulations to Megan Lim, Bunmi Esho and the Membership Leadership Team for a successful event!
Speaking of Leadership Teams, moving forward all “committees” will be referred to as Leadership Teams for their dedication to growing WGSD as a group of powerful leaders.
Leadership Team Updates include:
Grantmaking: After reviewing 41 applicants, the Grantmaking Leadership Team narrowed the grantees down to 3 organizations. The announcement of the grantees and grant amounts for the next 2 years to these organizations will be given at WGSD’s annual Holiday Mixer & Grant Celebration on December 7, 2011. Last year we granted out $43,000 and this year thanks to our increase in membership and also generous returning members who increased their giving we are able to grant $67,000! That is over a 50% increase in grant money!
Community Engagement: Bunmi Esho and Sabrina Johnson announced an opportunity on January 7th for members to be involved in Just In Time’s Career Horizon networking event. If you are interested in helping a group of women network and create beneficial connections please contact Bunmi. There is also an open house at Bario Logan on November 17th at 6pm for those members who are interested in getting to know one of our grantees.
Communications: Katie Collins has created a beautiful flyer titled, “A Call to Action,” which was passed around and can be emailed to the group as a communication tool to encourage membership and community engagement. We also have a new member who found us through our social media so congratulations to the Communication Leadership Team!
Website: Deirdre Maloney will be spearheading a refresh of our WGSD website and will work with the Communications Team and our founders to create a new look including a new logo. Stay tuned!
Advocacy: Jennifer Dreyer announced our 2012 Advocacy Goals which included:
· Helping revitalize the commission on the status for Women and help to fill 4 vacant seats
· Creating opportunities to educate the constituents running in the Mayoral race on WGSD and how we can fit in to their plan
· Increasing our participation at Legislative Action Day by sending 3 or more members to Sacramento as well as host a Legislative Breakfast as an educational opportunity
· Continue to keep WGSD members informed on current relative legislation
· Hosting an event to educate on what lobbying you can do as a C3 organization
Education: Erin Spiewak handed out the Top 5 Facts we should all have memorized as WGSD members to help advocate for our cause. They are:
1. 250,000 = the minimum number of women living in poverty in San Diego.
2. Close to 80,000 are single mothers with children under 18; one-third live below the poverty level.
3. There are more women and girls in San Diego County than there are in 20 of 51 States.
4. 60,000 women are currently unemployed in San Diego.
5. 1.2 million is the number of adult women in San Diego County of working age.
Upcoming Dates to remember:
· Wednesday, December 6, 2011- Holiday Mixer & Grants Celebration, Home of Bobbie Gilbert, 2575 Calle del Oro, La Jolla
· Monday, January 9, 2012- General Membership Meeting 5-7pm, location TBD
· Monday, March 5, 2012- General Membership Meeting Hosted by Advocacy Leadership Team, 5-7pm, location TBD
· Wednesday, April 2, 2012- Membership Connection & Recruitment Event, 5-7:30 pm, location TBD
· Monday, June 11, 2012- Annual Membership Meeting, 5-7pm, location TBD
Blog post written by WGSD member, Sasha Clines